Driving Safety Course

What is a Driving Safety Course?

If your ticket is for a traffic offense under Subtitle C of the Transportation Code, you may have a right to require that an offense be dismissed by taking a driving safety course (DSC). You must have not taken a driving safety course within the past year, enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, and make your request to the court in writing on or before the appearance date on your citation. All juveniles must appear before the Judge with a parent or guardian to request a driving safety course.


You are eligible if you:

  • Present a valid Texas driver’s license that is not a commercial license
  • Present proof of financial responsibility
  • File a written statement with the court that you have not taken a driving safety course in the past 12 months preceding the date of offense

You are not eligible if:

  • The offense charged is Speeding 25 mph or more above speed limit, Speeding 95 mph or over, Passing a School Bus, Leaving Scene of Accident, or Fail to Stop and Render Aid
  • The offense was committed in a construction zone when workers were present
  • You have a commercial driver’s license


  1. Appear or request DSC by mail before appearance date shown on your ticket
  2. Complete required plea and affidavit form
  3. Present valid driver’s license and financial responsibility (liability insurance)
  4. Pay court cost and fees depending on offense as notified by court.


If you are eligible and meet all requirements you will be granted 90 days to:

  • Complete a driving safety course approved by the Texas Education Agency
  • Present your certificate of completion to the court
  • Present a certified copy of your driving record from the Department of Public Safety to the court

If you fail to provide the court with required documents, you will be required to appear at a show cause hearing before the Judge. If you fail to appear at the hearing, a warrant may be issued for your arrest, you will be required to pay the fine in addition to the court cost already paid, and the ticket will appear as a conviction on your driving record.