Fire protection in Paris dates to the early 1870's, when a group of businessmen led by Willet Babcock organized a volunteer fire company. Known as Phoenix Fire Company No. 1, the volunteer unit continued in operation until the City created a paid Fire Department in 1908.
In 1877, 1896, and 1916, major fires forced the city to rebuild. The 1916 fire was so extensive that it killed 3 people, destroyed 1,440 buildings, and resulted in property damages estimated at $11 million.
Currently, the Paris Fire Department operates out of three (3) stations, protecting a city of 44.4 square miles. The PFD staffs 2 Engines, 1 Quint, a Rescue Truck, and a Command Vehicle at all times, with a 105' Aerial Device, a HazMat Unit, a TIFMAS Type 6 Engine, a Brush Truck, 2 boats, and 2 Reserve Engines available as needed. The PFD also responds the Rescue Truck county wide to vehicular accidents, as well as offers mutual aid to the 19 outstanding Volunteer Fire Departments in Lamar County.
The administrative offices are located at Fire Station 1, 1444 N. Main St., and consists of the Fire Chief and his Administrative Assistant. The Fire Marshal's office is located at City Hall Annex, 150 SE 1st St.